Sunflower CQR What If…

Sunflower CQR What If…

Originally uploaded by Q_uilted T_hrifted

What If..
– I take the bargello theme and run with it for the center of my sunflower.
– I set the flower on top of the crazy quilted block.
– I put 3 dimensional petals around the edge of the flower (still in my mind)
– It takes me 10 years before I get the embroidery and embellishments on this one!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I am really enjoying this project. It is 1am and I have the computer all to myself with no distractions!

I am getting really tired and will write more in the morning. I just wanted to get some progress noted on the CQR Flickr Group. I am mixing all the different projects I have worked on over the years with all the new techniques I am trying for the first time. I enjoy Jude’s work so much. It is exciting to push myself into an area I know nothing about…..all I know is I want to have texture in this project. I want to use as many scraps as possible. I want to do hand sewing on a foundation! I have to admit though I have been mixing machine sewing and handsewing on the same block. I feel like I am one with ADD…I jump from one to the other with enthusiasm and excitement.

I started this project by taking many of the 1 1/2 squares I have cut for my Triple Irish Chains and making them into a 49 Patch.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27565576@N02/2678216310/

I now have 3 blocks completed and a fourth in the fabric collection process. Not one fabric is the same! That does mean so far I have 147 different white and golden tone fabrics in the quilt. They are all from my stash or from bags and bins and boxes of fabric the Tuesday quilters have given to me over the years. I tell them “please

don’t throw anything away….I WILL use it” or at least attempt to.

The second block I wrote about a couple months back.

The third and fourth blocks I did were the circular centers of the two sunflowers. This one below I appliqued onto a solid foundation. The other one I appliqued onto what I thought was going to be a crazy quilted foundation. I still couldn’t pull myself away from an orderly process. I ended up with a radiating background.

I was able to do some of the hand sewing in the car for 12 weeks of football going back and forth to the games.

.imga0089-1

They made it into the playoffs so I even worked on the the 13th week at home while listening to the game on the internet.

I love technology these days!

imga0088-1

My appliqued block on a radiating foundation pieced background.

I still have all kinds of embroidery and bead work I want to do on this block. I really like the radiating affect.

The fifth block is the top one on the right side. I loved the leaf fabric and did not want to cut it into small pieces so I made stacked coins out of all the little white and off white scraps I have (believe me I do not throw anything away). I set them 1 inch in from the right side. It matches the stacked coins on the second block. I thought it would bring a theme that may run within the quilt.

The sixth and seventh blocks I went back to the sunflowers. I have been making a scrappy bargello quilt.

I wanted to take that theme and add it to this quilt as well.  I think what I ended up with is very nice and will be developed even further. I was finally able to achieve a crazy quilt block on a foundation. You can see it in the first picture above.

imga0086-1imga0085-1 After appliquing the sunflower onto the foundation with the radiating pattern I cut out the back so it wouldn’t be so thick and heavy. I took the back and used it to represent the petals on this block. I then did the couching around the two seams. The texture is superb. Once it is quilted it will be even better.

imga0087-1

This block is done in a freestyle piecing method. I wanted the feeling of depth. I may have to work on the concept a little further in future blocks. This one worked out OK. It has a 1 inch strip on the right side to give the block an a-symmetrical feel.  I like the overall affect it has on the quilt.

imga0092-1

In total I have 15 blocks in progress. Three of them are adapted orphan blocks given to me by Sharyn R from the “Quilting Babes” the Tuesday Quilt group I am in.

The background fabric is a beautiful sunflower design that I just adore. I had to bring the block down from 9″ to 7 1/2″ unfinished. It wasn’t that difficult to do. I may make a few more stars with crazy quilting centers. I suppose it all depends on how large this will end up being!

And that is me at the bottom of this photo….Ha! Even my shoes are the color of this quilt. I told you it was my favorite color. You will see if over and over again in my clothes and things I make and thing I collect and items I thrift. I just really like it!

Well, it is now 1:58 am. I have been working on this for an hour. I am still a novice at all of this. Oh yes I am. Those that read this I thank you. If anyone wants to contribute with golden tone fabrics let me know! The scrappier the better … as I say!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: