Two blocks are completed. My intention is to have a sunflower theme. I have two sunflower blocks started but I need to do the crazy quilting for the foundation. I actually did them first but of course don’t know where they are at the moment.
This is my revisiting of Crazy quilting.
I took a 1 1/2 inch strip that I work with so often. I had washed a bunch of fabric that had fallen on the floor so the strip had this nice soft fringe. I sewed it down twice so the fringe overlaped. I then took the remaining fabric and rolled it back over the seam. I took the weaving thread and crisscrossed back and forth over the ridge. I was able to sit in a chair by the front window and soak in the sun while stitching. This is the stitchwork I have been longing to do. I hope to do more and more. It is one of the reasons I enjoy looking at Jude’s work. I can see the hours and hours of handwork she puts into her project.
Thank You Jude. Thank you for starting this group and encouraging quilters to work outside our comfort zones. I have seen so many wonderful projects already on the Flickr site and I look forward to seeing more.
I go through my day and keep coming up with more WHAT IF. I have a few I am very excited to get started on.
I was at my quilting group’s gathering on Tuesday after my little one fell asleep so early. There were 11 out of 12 of us there. I showed the group my Scrappy Bargello I have been working on. The last few meetings I sewed together 1 1/2 inch squares for another Triple Irish Chain. Many of the gals said it looked just like a project I would work on since I enjoy working with the small squares. My favorite member said it looked like “idiot” work. What is her problem? To top it off a few days later my significant other commented in a fit of anger that all I work on is sewing stupid 1 1/2 inch squares together. Of course so while he drove to the football game on Saturday I did my idiot work and hand sewed on my stupid squares. It felt great. I just have to chuckle. Why are people so mean. Why do people have to say things in an attempt to hurt another. Life is tough enough without someone trying to take away from me one of the rare things that give me pleasure.
I was off to work before he even got out of bed. I got daddy to take a quick shot once we got home. This little guy was so exhausted he had a splitting headache and couldn’t even eat dinner. He took a quick bath and by 6pm he was sound asleep. That was quite a first day! (Tuesday after Labor Day) As you can tell I like this golden color. We ended up wearing the same color on the first day of school and we didn’t even know it.
- I am trying to use scraps throughout this project. This is a challenging project for me because I have usually worked in a very structured environment. I will end up combining structure with free piecing.
Originally uploaded by Q_uilted T_hrifted
I finally did it. The 7×7 in yellows and golds I hand sewed in the car to the football game yesterday. Today I put together my CQR.
- What if… I took scraps from the ends of the strips used for the 7×7 and sewed the various sizes together.
- What if… I took a 1 1/2 inch strip that I work with so often and sewed it down twice so the fringe overlaps and then take the remaining fabric and roll it back over.
- What if… I then took the weaving thread and crisscrossed back and forth over the ridge.
- what if…I took fabric with the x imprint and put it with the block.
- what if…I used the shape of the fabric scrap I used and sew the next piece on following the curve of the piece. I like letting the fabric speak to me.